JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: COMMUNITY ORGANIZER – HOUSING
ABOUT CATHOLIC MIGRATION SERVICES:
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low- income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever-changing landscape.
CMS seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate community organizer to join our dynamic team. The community organizer will work with the Right to Counsel coalition, a tenant led coalition made up of organizers, advocates, legal services organizations, to level the playing field in housing court, build tenant power and stop the eviction crisis. In August of 2017, the Right to Counsel coalition won a landmark victory making NYC the first city in the nation to establish a Right to Counsel for low-income tenants facing eviction. The community organizer will report to the Managing Attorney of the Housing team. The Catholic Migration Services office is currently working a hybrid work schedule with some days in-office (this full- time position will be based in our Queens office) and some days from home.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate monthly community meetings for tenants;
• Lead Know Your Rights presentations;
• Conduct outreach, i.e. door-knocking and virtual outreach to tenants;
• Help form and support Tenant Associations;
• Work collaboratively with members of the legal team;
• Work with Right to Counsel coalition to advocate for city- and state-wide change;
• Support leadership development in Tenant Association and campaign spaces;
• Conduct outreach and participate in coalition and campaign meetings, retreats, actions and events, and
• Create outreach and informational materials as needed.
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in tenant organizing and base-building or working in coalition on a campaign is required;
• Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills;
• Fluency in Spanish is required;
• Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel and ability to learn other software programs;
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends;
• Ability to travel throughout New York City and Albany;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting; and
• Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities to bring them together to build on common goals.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is on a union scale based on years of experience. The salary range for an organizer with three to five years of experience is $50,745 to $53,805. CMS offers a very competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to: Jonathan Cohen, Managing Attorney, at email@example.com. Please include “Community Organizer Application” in the subject line.
Download this job announcement as a pdf: Community Organizer – Housing