Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS annually assists approximately 4,000 individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs from our two offices in Downtown Brooklyn and Sunnyside, Queens.
CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice.
Catholic Migration Services seeks an experienced development professional to oversee almost all aspects of the agency’s development efforts, including grants and contracts. CMS has an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million, which includes funding from various government agencies (city, state and federal), foundations, donations and special events. The Development Officer will work with the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Legal Services and program managers to identify the funding needs of the agency, strategize for how to meet those needs, secure new or renewal grants and donations, and report to funders on our work, especially City, State and Federal agencies. The Development Officer will try to identify new funding opportunities and continue to grow our donor base. The Development Officer also will work with the Catholic Foundation of Brooklyn & Queens, which provides assistance operating the agency’s annual fundraising events and providing backup support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Identify funding needs of the organization in collaboration with the management team;
• Lead the application process for new and renewal funding opportunities with government, foundation and other funders;
• Manage the procurement process for grants and contracts to ensure that all required documentation is submitted to our funders and the agency remains qualified to be awarded grants and contracts;
• Serve as the primary agency liaison with most or all of our government and foundation funders;
• Coordinate with program managers regarding grant requirements and record keeping required by funders, and draft/submit reports to our funders;
• Identify opportunities for new funding, including individual and corporate donations and sponsorship, and planned giving;
• Collaborate on the planning of fundraising events (e.g., annual cocktail receptions and awards dinners) with the Catholic Foundation of Brooklyn & Queens;
• Coordinate with the agency’s fiscal team on the creation of grant budgets and submission of fiscal reports and invoices to funders;
• Report to the Director of Legal Services, CEO and Board of Directors on the status of development efforts.
• Bachelor of Arts or equivalent degree;
• Minimum of eight years of development experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in New York City;
• Experience working with organizations in the legal services field;
• Grant writing and reporting experience;
• Government contracting experience (procurement and reporting);
• Experience developing and maintaining relationships with foundations and donors;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) and Legal Server case management database;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with a team; and
• Commitment to social justice.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest or conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
CMS offers a very competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to: David Colodny, Director of Legal Services, at email@example.com. Please include “Development Officer” in the subject line.
Download this job posting as a PDF: Development Officer