This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced attorney to lead a non-profit organization that provides critical free legal services, community education and tenant organizing to thousands of low-income NYC residents each year with a team of 45 lawyers, paralegals, immigration counselors, tenant organizers, and development and administrative staff.
ABOUT CATHOLIC MIGRATION SERVICES:
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS’ staff of 45 assists 4,000 individuals per year with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs, and reaches thousands more through our community education and tenant organizing work.
Founded in 1971, CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice.
The Director of Legal Services and Sr. Vice President is responsible for the day-to-day operation of all aspects of Catholic Migration Services, including overseeing an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million. The Director oversees the organization’s programmatic, administration, financial, and development divisions. The Director also is responsible for ensuring the agency’s compliance with legal obligations, and maintains oversight of personnel matters, including the relationship with the union representing most non-supervisory staff.
The Director works with the CEO and other managers and staff to determine direction for the agency and ensure that it has the resources to accomplish agency goals and meet contractual obligations to funders. The Director further ensures that staff are well supervised and trained in furtherance of the agency’s goal to provide top quality services.
The Director will split their time between our offices in Downtown Brooklyn and Sunnyside, Queens.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee all programmatic work conducted by our Immigration, Workers’ Rights and Tenant Advocacy units, in consultation with the Managing Attorneys for each of the units. Identify and develop strategies to address legal needs of immigrant communities within the Diocese of Brooklyn;
• Oversee the agency’s administration department and Development Officer;
• Work with the Development Officer and program managers to ensure that we have adequate funding for the agency’s work and adequate resources to meet contractual obligations to funders;
• Oversee Human Resources, including union-related matters, hiring, discipline, salaries, annual evaluations and other personnel matters;
• Represent CMS management in its relationship with CMS staff’s union, including at collective bargaining;
• Ensure the agency has structures in place so that all staff members are properly supervised and have access to appropriate training;
• Ensure compliance with the agency’s legal obligations as a not-for-profit corporation with 501(c)(3) tax exempt status;
• Ensure compliance with attorney ethical rules and all applicable regulations governing the practice of lawyers and immigration counselors;
• Draft and revise office policies, including employee handbook, conflict of interest policy and other policies;
• Create agency and program budgets in coordination with the Chief Executive Officer and Operations Coordinator;
• Develop and promote opportunities for professional development and training of all staff;
• Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations, including CBO’s, parishes and government agencies;
• Represent the organization in legal services coalitions (e.g., Leap coalition, New York Legal Services Coalition) and other advocacy efforts;
• Oversee outreach and public relations work, including the newsletters, social media and the agency’s annual impact report; and
• Report to CEO and Board of Directors on the organization’s work, operations and funding.
• J.D. from an accredited law school;
• Admission to the New York State Bar;
• Minimum of ten years of legal experience and five years in a supervisory capacity;
• Management experience strongly preferred;
• Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills;
• Demonstrated knowledge of legal statutes and regulations relevant to the agency’s work;
• Experience with employment law and other laws governing non-profit legal services providers;
• Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with a team;
• Leadership experience; and
• Ability and experience working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds and communities.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
CMS offers a very competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: Nancy Pardo, at email@example.com. Please include “Legal Director Application” in the subject line.
Download this job posting as a PDF: Director of Legal Services and Senior Vice President