Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), a nonprofit provider of legal services and affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, is seeking a full-time staff attorney for our Tenant Advocacy Program. The Tenant Advocacy Program assists Queens residents on a wide- range of legal matters, provides know-your-rights education and organizes tenants to assert their rights and advocate for better housing laws. The Tenant Advocacy Program is funded by a variety of city, state and private sources, but is not a Universal Access to Counsel contractor.
The attorney will be based in our Sunnyside, Queens office and will provide legal representation for individual tenants and tenant groups in Queens. The attorney also will collaborate with CMS’ tenant organizers, as well as with attorneys and staff from the other CMS programs to ensure that clients receive holistic legal services. The attorney will report to, and assist, the Housing Unit’s Managing Attorney.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients in housing-related litigation matters, including but not limited to individual and group cases, such as nonpayment proceedings, holdover proceedings and HP actions in Housing Court; administrative proceedings at DHCR and the New York City Commission on Human Rights; and Article 78 proceedings in Supreme Court;
- Do intake and provide legal advice to tenants we are unable to represent;
- Work with CMS’ organizers to plan our monthly community meetings;
- Assist in community outreach and education efforts related to housing legal services;
- Assist in planning and implementation of strategic projects related to housing legal services;
- Manage caseload and maintain client files in good working order. Maintain and update case list and client and case information in case management database; and
- Participate in staff meetings and case reviews.
- Admission to the New York State Bar;
- At least 2 years of previous experience practicing in housing law preferred;
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice, and community empowerment;
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish strongly preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Basic computer skills;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; and
- Ability and experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and
CMS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds. Salary is commensurate with experience. CMS offers a competitive benefits package that includes a pension plan, health and dental insurance, and other benefits. We value work-life balance.
This position is available immediately, and applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, email a cover letter and resume to Andrew Lehrer, Managing Attorney, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Staff Attorney Application” in the subject line.