JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: PARALEGAL, AFFIRMATIVE TEAM
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low- income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever-changing landscape.
The Paralegal will work in the Queens office with our agency’s Affirmative team to provide direct services including pre-screenings, intake and application assistance to immigrants seeking to obtain immigration benefits. Our Affirmative team provides legal assistance and representation for immigration relief, including but not limited to green card renewals, adjustment of status, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS), family reunification, employment authorization, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), visas for victims of crime and trafficking, Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), etc. This is a unique opportunity for someone passionate about immigrant rights and energized to empower immigrant communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct pre-screenings, intake, and information collection regarding eligibility for immigration benefits;
- Prepare a variety of immigration applications, affidavits and supporting documents for cases including adjustment of status, green card renewals, work authorization, TPS, DACA, VAWA self-petitions, etc.;
- Copy, scan and otherwise assist in the preparation of client application packages for immigration benefits;
- Retrieve records for clients such as birth certificates, criminal histories, tax records, medical records, etc.;
- Provide staff of the immigration department with translation and interpretation assistance;
- Manage caseload and maintain client files in good working order. Maintain and update case list and client and case information in case management database;
- Assist clients with access and enrollment in social services benefits;
- Communicate regularly and in a timely manner with assigned clients, keeping them informed of case status, answering general questions, and scheduling meetings as needed;
- Participate in CMS staff meetings and case review;
- Participate in Catholic Migration Services functions on evenings and weekends, such as legal clinics, educational events, or workshops held at parishes or community based organizations; and
- Provide additional support as needed.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree;
- Strong, clear, and effective communication skills;
- Fluency in written and oral second language; Spanish and Haitian-Creole preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently or as part of a team;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Basic computer skills.
- Preferred, but not required:
- a. Prior or related immigration experience;
- b. Demonstrated interest in public interest work and social justice for underserved populations;
- c. Demonstrated ability and experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and who have experienced trauma.
Diversity and Non-Discrimination Policy:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is on a union scale based on years of experience. The salary range for an immigration counselor with two to six years of experience is $49,725 to $55,080. CMS offers a very competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of two professional references and a writing sample to: Raluca Oncioiu, Managing Attorney at email@example.com. Please include “Affirmative Team, Paralegal” in the subject line.
Download this job announcement as a pdf: Paralegal, Affirmative Team