Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”) provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status.
CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever changing landscape.
The Immigration Unit of CMS seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate immigration attorney to lead our dynamic and growing team as the Managing Attorney of the Immigration Unit. The Managing Attorney will work with the Director of Legal Services to carry out and further develop the vision of the Immigration Unit and provide the Immigration Unit with a clear roadmap for meeting CMS’s mission. The Managing Attorney will report to the Director of Legal Services and will directly supervise each of the Immigration Unit’s project supervisors in both the Brooklyn and Queens offices. The Immigration Unit consists of a removal defense program, an affirmative filings program, and a naturalization program. In addition to providing legal advice and representation to more than 2,000 Brooklyn and Queens residents each year, the Immigration Unit provides Know-Your-Rights presentations and literature to inform the community about immigrants’ rights and changes in government policies and enforcement. The Managing Attorney will be based in our Brooklyn office but will be expected to periodically work out of the Queens office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop vision for the Immigration Unit in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Legal Services and Immigration Unit staff members.
- Directly supervise Immigration Unit program area supervisors. Schedule regular support meetings, develop staff work plans, and provide feedback on performance on an ongoing basis.
- Represent CMS in coalitions, before government and other funders, and before elected officials whenever program input is expected;
- Manage grant compliance and reporting ensuring deliverables are being met for all government/private funders and provide assistance in report writing as needed;
- Work collaboratively with other CMS’ program managers to facilitate the provision of legal services in a holistic manner across all of CMS’ worksites;
- May supervise clinical and/or other intern recruitment and assignments coordinating with other CMS staff to advance the work of the organization;
- Represent clients in immigration legal proceedings including affirmative filings and removal proceedings
- Identify professional development opportunities for Immigration Unit staff (attorneys, counselors and paralegals), develop in-house trainings, and mentor staff members;
- Maintain organized and up-to-date files and database of caseload;
- Assist in planning and implementation of strategic projects related to immigration legal services;
- Develop and monitor compliance with best practices for immigration staff attorneys and other individuals working in the area of removal proceedings;
- Provide periodic reports to the Director of Legal Services about the Immigration Unit’s work, progress towards meeting contract deliverables, and caseloads; and
- Assist in the daily operation of the office.
- J.D. from an accredited law school;
- Admission to the New York State Bar;
- Minimum of eight years of Immigration legal experience and three years in a supervisory capacity;
- Management experience preferred;
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal statutes and regulations;
- Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with a team; and
- Ability and experience working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds and
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references and two writing samples to: David Colodny, Director of Legal Services, at email@example.com. Please include “Immigration Unit-Managing Attorney Application” in the subject line.