JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: PARALEGAL – EMPLOYMENT UNIT
About Catholic Migration Services:
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever-changing landscape.
Our Employment Unit seeks a full-time, highly motivated, and passionate paralegal to join our team. This is for a full-time position in our Sunnyside, Queens office. As of September 6th, CMS staff will work three days in office and two days remotely until further notice. The paralegal will support the work of our Employment Unit, which provides low-wage workers with advice and representation on a wide range of employment matters, including wage theft, discrimination, unemployment insurance, paid leave and workplace injuries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conducting meetings with clients and potential clients to gather information and assist CMS attorneys in assessing potential legal claims;
• Copying, scanning, and otherwise assisting attorneys in the preparation of court filings, administrative agency filings, and maintaining case files;
• Interpreting CMS attorney-client communications and translating documents from English to Spanish, and Spanish to English;
• Data entry in CMS’ client database to keep CMS client records updated;
• Filing legal papers with courts and administrative agencies;
• Serving legal papers on employers and witnesses;
• Assisting at outreach and educational events; and
• Providing additional support as needed.
• Prior or related experience, or a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree, preferred;
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Fluency in Spanish required;
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills;
• Basic computer skills;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; and
• Ability to work as part of a team.
Diversity and Non-Discrimination Policy:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is on a union scale based on years of experience. The salary range for a paralegal with one to six years of experience is $48,960.00 to $55,080,00. CMS offers a very competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
Union Representation: This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to Alice Davis, Supervising Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Paralegal, Employment Unit” in the subject line.
Download this job announcement as a pdf: Paralegal – Employment Unit