Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), a nonprofit provider of legal services for low and moderate income residents of Queens and Brooklyn, and an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, is seeking a full-time paralegal for our Tenant Advocacy Program (“TAP”).
The paralegal will work with our TAP attorneys and other staff to support their work advising tenants and representing them in Queens Housing Court, Queens Supreme Court, the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (“DHCR”) and other government agencies. This is a full-time position in our Sunnyside, Queens office. Some travel within New York City will be required, primarily within Queens.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assisting TAP attorneys in the intake of new clients and representation of tenants in legal proceedings
• Assisting tenants with applications for Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemptions and Disability Rent Increase Exemptions
• Assisting tenants with applications to administrative agencies, including decrease in services rent reduction applications to DHCR
• Providing Spanish interpretation for CMS staff at housing clinics and meetings; and on telephone calls/teleconference
• Compiling lists of tenants’ needed repairs, and monitoring repair progress
• Attending tenant meetings
• Assisting with outreach and educational events
• Organizing and maintaining client files
• Entering data in CMS’s case management system
• Serving and filing court papers and related documents
• Providing additional support as needed
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred
• Fluency in oral and written Spanish
• Ability to do consecutive interpretation for Spanish-English communications
• Ability to translate documents between Spanish and English
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest work
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Basic computer skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s legally protected characteristics, including but not limited to their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest or conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage and generous leave policies.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resumé to: Jonathan Cohen, Managing Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Paralegal” in the subject line.
Download this job posting as a PDF: Paralegal – Tenant Advocacy Program