JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: STAFF ATTORNEY – EMPLOYMENT UNIT
About Catholic Migration Services:
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever-changing landscape.
Our Employment Unit seeks a full-time, highly motivated, and passionate employment attorney to join our team. This is for a full-time position in our Sunnyside, Queens office. As of September 6th, CMS staff will work three days in office and two days remotely until further notice. The attorney will litigate cases in New York state and federal courts on behalf of low-wage workers primarily for minimum wage and overtime violations, file complaints before New York and federal administrative agencies, advise workers at legal clinics; and conduct know-your-rights workshops at community-based organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advise and represent workers (individuals and groups) before state and federal courts, and administrative agencies;
• Counsel clients at legal clinics and workshops;
• Lead Know-Your-Rights type presentations at community sites;
• Participate in advocacy efforts – primarily at the local and state levels – to influence legislative or administrative bodies on matters impacting low-wage workers;
• Assist in outreach; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Admission to the New York State Bar;
• At least two years of relevant experience (i.e, clerkship, litigation, representing low income or immigrant clients)
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
• Ability to coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations;
• Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
• Proficiency in languages other than English is strongly preferred but not required;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; and
• Ability and experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and communities.
Diversity and Non-Discrimination Policy:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is on a union scale based on years of experience. The salary range for an attorney with two to six years of experience is $72,864.72 to $82,212. CMS offers a very competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to: Magdalena Barbosa, Director of Legal Services, at email@example.com. Please include “Staff Attorney, Employment Unit” in the subject line.
Download this job announcement as a pdf: Staff Attorney – Employment Unit