Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), a nonprofit provider of legal services for low and moderate income residents of Queens and Brooklyn, is seeking a full-time staff attorney for our Housing Unit.
The attorney will be based in our Sunnyside, Queens office and will primarily provide legal representation for individual tenants and tenant groups in Queens. The attorney also will collaborate with CMS’ tenant organizers, as well as with attorneys and staff from the other CMS programs to ensure that clients receive holistic legal services. The attorney will report to, and assist, the Housing Unit’s Managing Attorney.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent clients in housing-related litigation matters, including individual and group cases;
- Do intake and provide legal advice to tenants we are unable to represent;
- Work with CMS’ organizers to plan our monthly community meetings;
- Assist in community outreach and education efforts related to housing legal services;
- Assist in planning and implementation of strategic projects related to housing legal services;
- Manage caseload and maintain client files in good working order. Maintain and update case list and client and case information in case management database; and
- Participate in staff meetings and case reviews.
- Admission to the New York State Bar, or must have sat for a recent New York bar exam;
- At least 2 years of previous experience practicing in housing law preferred, but not required;
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice, and community empowerment;
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
- Fluency in written and oral Spanish strongly preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Basic computer skills;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; and
- Ability and experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and communities.
This position is available immediately, and applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, email a cover letter and resume to Andrew Lehrer, Managing Attorney, at: email@example.com. Please include “Staff Attorney Application” in the subject line.