Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs.
CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever changing landscape.
The Removal Defense Project of the CMS Immigration Unit seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate immigration attorney to join our dynamic team. The attorney will counsel and represent individuals before the Executive Office for Immigration Review and before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The attorney will also represent individuals in Family Court in guardianship and custody hearings connected to our clients’ immigration cases, and assist with special outreach events and community-based legal clinics in Brooklyn and Queens. The attorney will report to the Supervising Attorney of the Removal Defense Project. This is for a full-time position in our Brooklyn office, but the attorney may be required to work from our Queens office and travel to other locations within the City periodically.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide representation and legal advice to clients in removal proceedings before the Executive Office for Immigration Review seeking all types of relief, including but not limited to: Asylum, Cancellation of Removal, 212(c), and others;
- Represent clients before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, and in New York State Family Court;
- Represent clients before federal appellate bodies and district courts with supervisor approval;
- Maintain client files in good working order and routinely update case information in CMS’ case management database;
- Participate in CMS staff meeting and case reviews;
- Attend USCIS and EOIR stakeholder meetings and local practitioner working group meeting as required;
- Report on outcomes and demographic information for grants;
- Assist in outreach and educational events with partner community based organizations and parishes in Brooklyn and Queens; and
- Assist in the supervision of interns, volunteers and fellows.
- Admission to the New York State Bar;
- A minimum of two years’ experience practicing in Immigration Law as an attorney or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work;
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting;
- Experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds and communities; and
- Demonstrated commitment to advocating for immigrant clients in a respectful and empowering way.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage and generous leave policies.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references and two writing samples to: Alexandra Goncalves-Pena, Managing Attorney, at email@example.com. Please include “RDP Attorney Application” in the subject line.
Download this job posting as a PDF: Staff Attorney in the Removal Defense Program of the Immigration Unit