Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”) provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status.
CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever changing landscape.
CMS’ Immigration Unit seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate immigration attorney to lead our dynamic and growing team as the Supervising Attorney for our Removal Defense Project. The RDP Supervisor will supervise a team of seven attorneys and a paralegal that provides full legal representation in a wide range of immigration-related proceedings to non-detained immigrants, conducts legal screenings to determine eligibility for relief, and leads community Know-Your-Rights presentations. The RDP Supervising Attorney will also maintain their own caseload and participate in the Immigration Unit’s community outreach efforts. The RDP Supervising Attorney will be based in our Brooklyn office but will be expected to periodically work out of the Queens office, and will supervise staff located at both offices. The RDP Supervising Attorney will report to the Managing Attorney for the Immigration Unit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop vision for the Removal Defense Project in consultation with the Managing Attorney for the Immigration Unit and other staff members;
- Directly supervise RDP attorneys and paralegals, who collectively advise or represent more than 1,000 clients each year. May also supervise DOJ Accredited Representatives and immigration counselors in connection with affirmative filings, law students and interns;
- Schedule regular support meetings, develop staff work plans, and provide feedback on performance on an ongoing basis;
- Represent CMS in coalitions, before government and other funders, and before elected officials whenever RDP input is expected;
- Manage grant compliance and reporting ensuring deliverables are being met for all government/private funders and provide assistance in quarterly reporting and report writing as needed;
- Work collaboratively with other supervisors and program managers to facilitate the provision of legal services in a holistic manner across all of CMS’ worksites;
- Represent clients in removal proceedings before the EOIR and USCIS, in New York City Family Courts, and before appellate and Federal tribunals;
- Identify professional development opportunities for RDP staff, develop in-house trainings, and mentor staff members;
- Assist in planning and implementation of strategic projects related to immigration legal services;
- Provide periodic reports to the Managing Attorney of the Immigration Unit concerning the Unit’s work, progress towards meeting contract deliverables, and caseloads; and
- Assist in the daily operation of the office.
- J.D. from an accredited law school;
- Admission to the New York State Bar;
- Minimum of six years of Immigration legal experience and two years in a supervisory capacity;
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal statutes and regulations;
- Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with a team;
- Experience and demonstrated success working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds and communities and survivors of trauma; and
- Fluency in Spanish.
Applications will be accepted immediately and considered on a rolling basis. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, list of three professional references and two writing samples to: Alexandra Goncalves-Peña, Managing Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “RDP Supervising Attorney Application” in the subject line.