TENANT ORGANIZER, HOUSING
ABOUT CATHOLIC MIGRATION SERVICES
Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low- income immigrantsresiding in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs. CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice in an ever-changing landscape.
CMS seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate tenant organizer to join our dynamic Housing team. The tenant organizer will work towards building tenant power in buildings wheretenants are at risk of displacement and harassment by landlords. The community organizer will report to the Managing Attorney of the Housing team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate monthly community meetings for tenants;
- Lead Know Your Rights presentations;
- Conduct outreach, e. door-knocking and virtual outreach to tenants;
- Help form and support Tenant Associations;
- Work collaboratively with members of the legal team;
- Support leadership development in Tenant Association and campaign spaces;
- Conduct outreach and participate in coalition and campaign meetings, retreats, actions and events, and
- Participate in various NYC
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in tenant organizing and base-building or working in coalition on a campaign is required;
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel and ability to learn other softwareprograms;
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends;
- Ability to travel throughout New York City and Albany;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting; and
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities to bring them together to build on common goals.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of allbackgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff.CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is on a union scale based on years of experience. The salary range for an organizer with two to three years of experience is $50,719.50 to $51,759.90. CMS offers a very competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies,including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys, UAW, Local 2325.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to: Magdalena Barbosa, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Community Organizer Application” in the subject line.
Download this job announcement as a PDF: Tenant Organizer, Housing