Catholic Migration Services (“CMS”), an affiliated agency of Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, provides high quality free legal services, community education, and advocacy for low-income immigrants residing in Brooklyn and Queens, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status. CMS assists individuals with their immigration, housing, and employment legal needs.
CMS is committed to “welcoming the stranger in our midst” by serving and working alongside underserved immigrant communities to advance equality and social justice.
The Immigration Unit of CMS seeks a full-time, highly motivated, experienced, and passionate immigration attorney to lead our dynamic team as the Managing Attorney of the Immigration Unit. The Managing Attorney will work with the Director of Legal Services to carry out and further develop the vision of the Immigration Unit. The Managing Attorney will report to the Director of Legal Services and will directly supervise each of the Immigration Unit’s project supervisors in both the Brooklyn and Queens offices. The Immigration Unit consists of a removal defense program, an affirmative filings program, and a naturalization program. In addition to providing legal advice and representation to more than 2,000 Brooklyn and Queens residents each year, the Immigration Unit provides Know-Your-Rights presentations and literature to inform the community about immigrants’ rights and changes in government policies and enforcement. The Managing Attorney will be based in our Brooklyn office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop vision for the Immigration Unit in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Legal Services and Immigration Unit supervisors and staff members.
• Directly supervise Immigration Unit program area supervisors. Schedule regular support meetings, develop staff work plans, and provide feedback on performance on an ongoing basis.
• Ensure each Immigration Unit program is meeting contractual obligations to funders, including having the proper staff and resources. Monitor progress towards meeting contractual obligations, and oversee the reporting of the Immigration Unit’s work to funders.
• Work with the Director of Legal Services and Development Officer to find appropriate funding to support the Immigration Unit, and assist in drafting proposals to potential funders.
• Lead bi-weekly all-unit meetings;
• Provide periodic reports to the Director of Legal Services about the Immigration Unit’s work, progress towards meeting contract deliverables, and caseloads;
• Participate in organizational management team meetings and collaborate with other managers to advance the CMS mission;
• Lead the planning and implementation of strategic projects related to the delivery of immigration legal services;
• Represent CMS in coalitions, before government and other funders, and before elected officials whenever program input is expected;
• Work collaboratively with other CMS’ program managers to facilitate the provision of legal services in a holistic manner across all of CMS’ programs and worksites;
• Develop and monitor compliance with best practices for immigration staff attorneys and other individuals working in the area of removal proceedings;
• Identify professional development opportunities for Immigration Unit staff (attorneys, counselors and paralegals), develop in-house trainings, and mentor staff members;
• Represent clients in immigration legal proceedings including affirmative filings and removal proceedings;
• Lead community education presentations and train other staff members to lead presentations; and
• Maintain organized and up-to-date files and database of caseload.
• J.D. from an accredited law school;
• Admission to the New York State Bar;
• Minimum of eight years of Immigration legal experience and three years in a supervisory capacity;
• Management experience preferred;
• Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills;
• Demonstrated knowledge of legal statutes and regulations;
• Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as to work collaboratively with a team; and
• Ability and experience working with staff and clients from diverse backgrounds and communities.
DIVERSITY AND NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY:
Catholic Migration Services values workplace diversity and welcomes applicants and employees of all backgrounds. CMS strives to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment for all staff. CMS makes all employment decisions without regard to any applicant’s or employee’s protected characteristics, including their race, religion, color, national origin, immigration status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, arrest conviction record, or marital status.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
CMS offers a very competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and a 403(b) retirement plan including employer contribution. We offer generous leave policies, including four weeks paid vacation, four paid personal days, fourteen paid holidays and the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Days, inclusive.
Applications will be accepted immediately and will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to: David Colodny, Director of Legal Services, at email@example.com. Please include “Immigration Unit-Managing Attorney Application” in the subject line.
Download this job posting as a PDF: Managing Attorney – Immigration Program