This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By using this site, you consent to the placement and use of these cookies. Read our Privacy Policy to learn more. ACCEPT

Recent Changes to Temporary Protected Status Pertaining to Honduras

January 19, 2018

Presione aquí para la versión en Español  

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has extended the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designation for Honduras for 6 months, from January 6, 2018 to July 5, 2018. Please read the following for information pertaining to this extension.

Catholic Migration Services urges anyone who receives TPS for Honduras to call our office and schedule an appointment for a free legal consultation.

What are the important deadlines?

  • If you are a current Honduran TPS holder you must timely re-register to maintain TPS throughout the current extension period. Re-registration for Honduran TPS runs from December 15, 2017 through February 13, 2018.
  • If you do not re-register during this time period, you will not be in lawful status and will effectively abandon your TPS.

Do I need to apply for a new Employment Authorization Document (work permit)?

  • The Department of Homeland Security has automatically extended the validity of work permits expiring on January 5, 2018 for 180 days, through July 4, 2018.
  • If you want to obtain a new work permit with a July 5, 2018 expiration date written on the face of the card, you must also apply for an Employment Authorization Document with the USCIS and pay for the new document.

Do I need to pay any fees?

  • If you are 14 years or older, you must submit an $85 biometrics fee with your re-registration;
  • If you are unable to pay the biometrics fee, you may submit a request for a fee waiver;
  • You do not need to pay a filing fee for renewing your TPS if you are under 14 years old;
  • If you wish to receive a new work permit with a July 5, 2018 expiration date on the face of the card, you must pay the $410 Employment Authorization Document fee;
  • All forms and payments can be filed together.

To be screened for other possible forms of immigration relief or if you have any questions, please contact Catholic Migration Services at 718-236-3000.

Download this update as a PDF.