January 19, 2018
Presione aquí para la versión en Español
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the termination of the designation of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for El Salvador. TPS for Salvadoran recipients will expire on September 9, 2019. Please read the following for information pertaining to the re-registration process.
Catholic Migration Services urges anyone who receives TPS for El Salvador to call our office and schedule an appointment for a free legal consultation.
What are the important deadlines?
- If you are a current Salvadoran TPS holder you must timely re-register to maintain TPS throughout the current extension period. Re-registration for Salvadoran TPS runs from January 18, 2018 through March 19, 2018.
- If you do not re-register during this time period, you will not be in lawful status and will effectively abandon your TPS.
Do I need to apply for a new Employment Authorization Document (work permit)?
- Current Salvadoran TPS holders who have an Employment Authorization Document with an expiration date of March 9, 2018 will receive an automatic extension of their work permit for 180 days (valid through September 5, 2018).
- If you want to obtain a new work permit with a September 9, 2019 expiration date written on the face of the card, you must also apply for an Employment Authorization Document with the USCIS and pay for the new document.
Do I need to pay any fees?
- If you are 14 years or older, you must submit an $85 biometrics fee with your re-registration;
- If you are unable to pay the biometrics fee, you may submit a request for a fee waiver;
- You do not need to pay a filing fee for renewing your TPS if you are under 14 years old;
- If you wish to receive a new work permit with a September 9, 2019 expiration date on the face of the card, you must pay the $410 Employment Authorization Document fee;
- All forms and payments can be filed together.
To be screened for other possible forms of immigration relief or if you have any questions, please contact Catholic Migration Services at 718-236-3000.