January 18, 2018
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the termination of the designation of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haiti on November 23, 2017. TPS for Haitian recipients will expire on July 22, 2019. Please read the following for information pertaining to the re-registration process.
Catholic Migration Services urges anyone who receives TPS for Haiti to call our office and schedule an appointment for a free legal consultation.
What are the important deadlines?
- If you are a current Haitian TPS holder with a pending TPS application as of January 18, 2018 you do NOT need to apply again. If TPS is approved from the pending application, TPS will be granted through the termination date of July 22, 2019 and you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (work permit) with an expiration date of July 22, 2019.
- Current Haitian TPS holders who received an Employment Authorization Document with an expiration date of January 22, 2018, will receive an automatic extension of their work permit for 180 days (valid through July 21, 2018) however, you must re-register in order to continue receiving TPS through the termination date of July 22, 2019.
- Re-registration for Haitian TPS runs from January 18, 2018 through March 19, 2018.
- If you do not re-register during this time period, you will not be in lawful status and will effectively abandon your TPS.
Do I need to apply for a new Employment Authorization Document (work permit)?
- The Department of Homeland Security has automatically extended the validity of work permits expiring on January 22, 2018 for 180 days, through July 21, 2018. If you wish to maintain status and have a valid work permit through July 22, 2019, you should apply for a new work permit before the July 21, 2018 expiration date.
Do I need to pay any fees?
- If you are 14 years or older, you must submit an $85 biometrics fee with your re-registration;
- If you are unable to pay the biometrics fee, you may submit a request for a fee waiver;
- You do not need to pay a filing fee for renewing your TPS if you are under 14 years old;
- If you wish to receive a new work permit with a July 22, 2019 expiration date on the face of the card, you must pay the $410 Employment Authorization Document fee;
- All forms and payments can be filed together.
To be screened for other possible forms of immigration relief or if you have any questions, please contact Catholic Migration Services at 718-236-3000.